22 September 2007

My Love For Pearl Jam


I remember how it started. It was the year 1992 and I just began my freshman year at Hudson High School. I had a big, fat crush on Mark Rondina who was a year older than me. Oh my gosh! He was so dreamy! I was walking behind him one day and he had on a shirt that said, "9 out of 10 kids prefer crayons to guns". I thought this was a nice statement and told him that I liked his shirt. I didn't realize that it was associated with Pearl Jam. He smiled and started talking about how much he liked Pearl Jam and how he thought it was cool that I did too. I totally pretended to know what he was talking about. I just wanted a reason to talk to him. So yeah, I immediately went out and got the album Ten, so that next time I could be in the know. Well, turns out that they were actually wicked good. I genuinely loved their music. I thought Eddie Vedder had the all time sexiest voice. My favorite song ended up being Yellow Ledbetter. You can't understand a single word he's saying, but you can feel his angst. I listened to the band through the 90's, then it sort of died down for a while. But recently, at work, I've been listening to KBER 101.1 (Utah's only rock station) and my love for Yellow Ledbetter, and Pearl Jam in general, has been resurrected. I'm convinced that I will fall desperately in love with the first man that can play me Yellow Ledbetter on the guitar and sing like Eddie Vedder.

No comments: