18 October 2007

Taking It Like A Man!

I think people are starting to wonder about me. I have the best bruises all over my arms and shoulders from Jiu Jitsu. I've been rolling almost everyday. There are distinct handprints all over my upper arms. A guy at work today took me aside and seriously asked me if someone was hurting me. He was genuinely concerned. It was kind of sweet but also kind of weird. He told me that he could take care of whoever it was. All I had to do was give him the name. I couldn't tell if he was serious or not. I hope not. In any case, I think I need to start wearing long sleeves.
I know that my last few posts have been about the whole MMA thing, but I've just been so excited about what I've been learning. I've been learning so much in such a short amount of time. I love knowing that I'm capable of doing alot of the moves. I love going to a place where my height and strength is valued. Sometimes it's hard to be a woman and 6 feet tall. I've always felt that society values the small, slender woman much more than a tall, strong woman. But when I step into that gym those things become an asset. The instructors really teach me how to use what I have and how my height can be a great advantage.
I didn't know this until last week, but Absolute MMA has a fighter that fights in the UFC. His name is Josh Burkman. I guess I didn't understand what a big deal he is until I heard that reporters and such were coming to the gym. He's a huge deal. And he's very talented. And super nice. He's got an ego, but he's pretty careful about where it comes out. I like him. He's really driven to be the best fighter that he can be. I like watching that. He trains very seriously. It motivates me to push myself to myself past the hurt. And it hurts.
I'm really glad that I fell into this. I would've never in a million years predicted that I would be so interested in MMA training. And now I can't stop thinking about it.

No comments: