01 April 2009

Submission Challenge

Last Saturday I participated in a submission only grappling tournament down in Orem. And I totally got first place in the women's middleweight division! I'm embarrassed at how excited I was that I won. I was exceptionally nervous prior to the tournament and now I can't wait until the next one. The best part was having the support and encouragement of almost my entire team. So many of them were there participating and watching. I don't have very many pics. We were all busy running to each others matches. The camera was unfortunately forgotten.
Thanks to Miyo for the following couple of pictures.

Getting the takedown with a head throw.

Attempting the triangle choke. Transitioned from there into an armbar for the tap.
My first place trophy: A sweet mini samurai sword. Awards
With my AWESOME coach, Rob. I wouldn't be any good without him! Please excuse my haggardness.
I love this pic of Steve Sharp and Noah. Somehow they ended up in the same weight class. WTF? I know! Noah was making Steve look Fun Sized. Back: Denver, Kevin, Me, Coach Rob, Camrann, Ricky, Curtis, Matt and Riley
Front: Steve, Robert, Ben and Josh.

Most of the team placed, if not first. In the Intermediate Lightweight division our guys received first (Denver), second (Josh), and third (Riley). It doesn't get any better than Team Absolute!

Coach with the prodigy, Ben Garner.
The whole experience was really great. I know that I could have done better though. I was holding submissions that weren't working too long and I was really timid on the takedowns. And I swear that I forgot half of what I know. But now I know what I need to work on and what to expect for the next tournament. And yes, you guys can come. June 6th. Yeah!

3 comments:

Jess said...

Congratulations, Vanessa! That really is awesome. I'll bet it's great to see all of your hard work paying off. I want to come on June 6th and see you in action.

P.S. Thanks for allowing me to comment :)

The Picketts said...

WOW! Look at you!?!?! YOU ROCK!!! I miss you tons and am so glad you came back to visit! I always look forward to your comments - mostly because you tell me how amazing I am - and who doesn't LOVE that?!
YOU - however, are AMAZING yourself! Holy hot, tough girl batman! Someday I'll live closer to you so I can see your mad skillz in ACTION!
WAY TO GO!

NoahJ said...

In my defense I think Steve likes to pick on the big guys.
He may be fun-sized, but going against him isn't always fun :)

you guys will like these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqFIUpwj--M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAjWrh6b7yU&feature=related