20 December 2008

Getting Festive

My mother travels to Germany almost every year to see her friends and family. Two years ago she brought back a "Raucher Manchen" (a little smoking man) and gave it to me for Christmas. The torso comes off, you light incense cones and replace the top. The smoke from the incense comes out of its mouthhole, resembling him smoking a pipe. I was thrilled to have one. It was made out of wood from the Black Forrest in the southeastern part of Germany.


Last year she brought back a three story "Weihnacht's Pyramide" (Christmas Pyramid). It's a traditional German nativity. My dad purchased one on his mission to Germany in nineteen seventy something, and we displayed it in the dining room as the centerpiece every Christmas. I always wished that I had one. It wasn't until I was at home last Christmas that I made it known to my mother. I asked her if I could inherit dad's. She just smiled and said that perhaps one day I might get one. I was beyond happy when I opened my present a few days later and it was a Weihnacht's Pyramide. Mom said that she was so surprised when I mentioned how badly I wanted one. She thought that I may have peeked at the presents. Nope. She just picked the perfect present.








Isn't it beautiful?


I wonder if I'm going to get something from Erzgebirge this year. No pressure though.

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

Those are incredible--what treasures! I've been fascinated with those german nativities ever since Cousin Eddy broke the one on Christmas Vacation...

The Picketts said...

Those are AWESOME! I was teaching Primary today and was talking about how they used to put Candles on trees. I then remembered (I am pretty sure it was YOU) that you said your mom STILL puts candles on the trees because it's a tradition for her - which led me to remember our little Christmastime that we spent together on the mish! Aww...My favorite - listening to you serenade Miller and I from the bathroom - Hark the Harold Angels Sing - Amy Grant style. That was hot! miss you!

Miyo Strong @ Busath said...

ok, so miss V... I am super impressed with your photography skills...yeah girl!

rachel said...

Wow, fancy holiday background :) Love these little german goodies, they are so intricate and festive!

Anonymous said...

Hi Vanessa,

so you want a "real" one from the Erzgebirge, eh? Let´s see what I can find. I would need your adress though... ;-)

Big hug,
Bjoern