26 August 2008

I'm Still Mad At My Mother

Sorry. I may have built it up to be better than it is, but here you go...
I was a stupid pilgrim. A pilgrim! Let it be known that I'm not the one that picked my Halloween costume each year. I was forced to wear whatever my mom chose to sew if I wanted free candy, most of what "magically" disappeared once it reached my parents hands. I swear it was extortion.

I hated my 1985 costume. My older brother was a wizard, complete with long white beard. One of my younger brothers was a cool leopard, and the youngest was an adorable little pumpkin. Why did I have to be a pilgrim, you ask? Well, mom thought it would be so cute for me to use the costume a second time that year and serve Thanksgiving dinner in it. Oh man. Please take a minute to picture the look on my face as I brought out a turkey and mashed potatoes to the rest of the family in the hated pilgrim outfit. It wasn't pretty.

I clearly remember having to pose for this picture. Mom was behind the photographer threatening me with every possible punishment if I didn't smile. So I mustered this "Fine I'm going to half-heartedly smile, but I'm only doing this so bars don't go on my bedroom windows and food doesn't come in through a little cutout hole in the bottom of the door" grimace. I just wanted to be a Jedi Knight every Halloween. Still do.

5 comments:

Brenna said...

BAHAHAHAHA! I can just see the joy in your eyes... And let me get this straight: You guys actually went to a studio to get your photos taken in your halloween costumes? Oh man.... There are some things that I despise my mom for (like running, leaping and twirling across the Junior High parking lot while waving to my class...), but serving Thanksgiving dinner in a pilgrim outfit? That's bad... Why didn't your brothers have to dress up as pilgrims at Thanksgiving??? I'll see if I can dig up any halloween photos, although I wasn't around for much of the 80's :)

The Picketts said...

One word....WOW!

You poor child! That's all I can say (really inside, I'm busting a gut - hey, I can't NOT laugh - and you can't blame me!)
I am not sure we even got pictures of our Halloween costumes - but still, WOW.
I think, for "old time sake" you should re-create the Halloween of yester-year! Make a pilgrim outfit and do it again! I DARE YOU! Oh, and then I'll be up in Utah for Thanksgiving, and you're MORE than welcome to come serve our Thanksgiving feast in the blessed Halloween outfit! Come Vanessa...it'll be fun! he he he
Now I'm anxious to see more of these wonderful pictures of you! I love it! Thanks for sharing!

Jenny said...

Okay, I have been laughing for like 20 minutes, and my sides are starting to ache!!! LOL!!! - SOOO NOT disappointed!! - If only you had that lucious outfit in amish country... I totally pictured you to be the princess ballerina type... Go easy on your cute mamma - you are lucky she even knew your dress size.... Which reminds me -- you should post THAT dress as well (the tent one) or the nursing mother dress ahahahahaha....

Jenny said...

Will you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE put this pic on your sidebar so that every time I open up this page, I can see this picture and feel better about my day?

me myself and Luna said...

WoooooW. That even makes ME mad at your mom! Good thing you turned out to be hot and sassy despite her efforts to make you far from...