09 September 2008

And On To Victory

I'd like to announce that I'm going to be in my very first grappling tournament on November 15th down in Orem. If you are at all interested in seeing what I've been learning the past 9 or 10 months, you are welcome to attend and watch me grapple (no striking involved). It's on a Saturday morning at 11:00am. You can find more info out here. What's really cool about this tournament is that it's a submission only competition. There's no time limit and no points. You win only by submitting your opponent. I can't hardly wait. There is nothing like getting a submission. And there's nothing like coming so close to being submitted and then somehow doing something right to get out of it.

Training is going so well right now. Last month I was showing up a ton and really trying to buckle down and improve my game, but I felt like I was regressing. It was really frustrating me. But then September hit and everything has really been coming together.


I was rolling with Pedro a couple weeks ago and I would tell him how to submit me and he would do it. Eveytime! I knew exactly what was coming and was trying my hardest to defend against it and I couldn't! It was the coolest thing ever. Rear naked choke, triangle, teepee, twister, electric chair, choke from knee-on-belly position, arm bar from the mount, arm bar after pulling guard, kimura...anything! We did this for quite a while. It made me want to work so hard so that someday I can be a black belt too. There isn't a better sport than jujitsu!


This is Ben G, one of my favorite grappling partners. I absolutely love working with this dude. He's super strong and technical. He makes things really tough on me. I learn so much through my failures. I'm lasting so much longer against these colored belts now.

This is Camrann working on some neck strengthening exercises. This guy doesn't quit. He does what he should do to be a great fighter and then he does more.
Here's some shots of a Muay Thai class last week.





Looks like fun, no? Come to a class.

4 comments:

Brenna said...

Okay, a few posts down is a lovely photo of you in a pilgrim outfit. And now you are competing in a grappling tournament. Is this the same Vanessa? And Oh My Gosh. Do you do those neck exercises!? I didn't even know such a thing exsisted! That is hard core! Good Luck!

King J, Queen M, Princess E and Princess M said...

Oh my gosh, I moved way to soon! I so want to see you fight. DANG IT!!

Unknown said...

Everyone looks like they want to hurt me...

VTS said...

Nah...they're little kittens!