21 September 2008

VTG (Vanessa the Golfer)

Yesterday Stefan and I entered a golf tournament. The company I work for sponsored the event. The course was up at The Homestead in Midway. I know what you're asking yourself...Vanessa golfs? Hell yeah I do. Fakeout. I don't at all. I played once on my mission and once last year down in St. George with two old men that separated me from my group and made me sit on their lap in the golf cart. But that's a story for another day.

We played a 4 man scramble, where each person takes a swing and then we play from where the best ball lands. You have to use each persons drive off the tee at least three times. I was feeling the pressure. Stefan and I were paired up with two of Nelson's clients. They were super nice and encouraging. And I didn't do that bad for as little as I've played. The team actually used 6 of my drives. Yes, SIX! I was a very good driver and worked pretty well with the 3 wood and the pitching wedge. But I was crap when any kind of iron was put into my hands. And I was totally ROBBED on the longest drive competition. I hit an incredible shot down the fairway and would've beaten the woman with the longest drive by at least 200 feet but my ball rolled ONE FOOT off of the fairway! I was a bit frustrated with that. I would have loved to have won that competition.

Stefan on the other hand carried our team. I was SO PROUD of him. One of the guys we were with worked in a pro shop for 12 years and was asking Stef for advice on every hole. We pretty much used his ball most of the time.

I will say that I don't think that I would do 18 holes again anytime soon. I was getting a bit fidgety when we hit 5 hours of continuous play. The ground was wet when we started and my adorable canvas shoes with little hearts on them were soaking the entire rest of the game. I had to pee so bad by the second to last hole that I was even setting up any shots, I was just whacking it in the general vicinity of the hole in order to speed up the game. It also started raining on us sporadically and I'm pretty sure that by the end of the game I looked and smelled like a drowned cat, and that's when the company wanted a group shot of our team. We also observed a bit of lightning as we stood in a wide open space with a metal rod in our hands.

Here's some shots of Stefan the future pro and Vanessa the perpetual amateur:



I was digging in the golf bag that Stef provided for me and was DELIGHTED when I fished out an Underdog golf ball. It was just one of those stupid little things that for some reason I took great joy in. I referred to my ball as Underdog for the rest of the day.
After a long drive - Hey Stef, did you see where Underdog landed?
After hitting it in the lake - Hey Stef, would you please go in there and find Underdog for me? (And he did!)
After Stef accidentally picked up my ball and played with it - STEF! Did you just take a hit on Underdog!? Sheesh! What kind of brother are you?!
But tragedy occurred at the second to last hole (when I had to pee super badly and was recklessly swinging away). I lost Underdog in some tall grass. The game was over for me at that point.
The best part of the whole event was riding in the cart and leaning out to scoop up the golf balls while Stefan was driving at top speed. And then having him yell at me when I inevitably would miss it. It was awesome. Oh and the second best part of the day was winning a BLUE COOLER with WHEELS and a LONG HANDLE at the drawing during the luncheon. Anyone want to buy it off me? It's pretty classy!

4 comments:

Brenna said...

Okay, first of all, I adore your brother and I've never even met him. Second, I have never played golf in my life. I think it sounds like the dullest game ever (you know, compared to all of the other sports I play...). But for some reason, I have been itching to play lately. Who knows? Third, I love the picture of the hill with all of the colored leaves! So pretty!

Jess said...

Hey you look good out there. Maybe we should mini-golf sometime. That's my cup 'o tea.

Natalie said...

I truly admire your form. Which is not unusual for me, actually. I often find myself admiring your form, but this time it's actually your GOLFING form that's impressive. Not your lovely lady lumps.

Captainseapig said...

Funny golf Ball. By the way i did as you asked and did a little blog on your dad. It was nice to see pictures of Steph.
Love Uncle James