19 June 2008

Wasatch My Back

I promised myself last year that I would never run the Wasatch Back Relay again. And here I am, the night before the race, thinking back to that promise and wondering what in the hell made me say yes to this. Two days in a van with 5 other sweaty runners? Port-A-John's? Six to seven miles at a time in ninety degree heat? I paid money to do this?

I complain, but in the end I love doing this stuff. I love accomplishing something. I worked hard to get in marathon shape last year and feel proud of myself for retaining quite a bit of that.

I'm part of a great team this year. Most of the runners are people that I work with and I really enjoy them. Our team name is Nelson Lab Staph and the runners are me, Shannon, Quint, Zach, Jeremy, Becky, Ben, Caleb, Porter, Sherri, Pete, and Emily.

Did you know that one loaf of bread can make 10 peanut butter sandwiches? Yep. And did you know that I can make all of them in less time than it takes to listen to the song Yellow Ledbetter? Yep. In the next 48 hours I plan on eating at least 6 of the sandwiches plus 6 apples, 3 bananas, some snap peas, 4 packs of GU, and 4 of protein bars.

I made a killer playlist for the run. It contains alot of AC/DC, Pearl Jam, Linkin Park, Metallica, Fuel, Incubus, and Justin Timberlake. Wait...not JT.

Good luck Lydia and Mike! I highly doubt that we'll see each other on the course, but we'll have to get together afterwards and have an achievement dinner.

1 comment:

lydia said...

waiting to see how your experience was. I did look for your vans, in spite of unlikeliness of running into each other.

I, too, will blog our experience soon!