01 November 2008

Halloween '08

Happy belated Halloween, guys! This is such a great holiday. The energy around this holiday is always really high, and I don't think it's due solely to the sugar rush. There's tons of stuff to do and lots to laugh at.

Because of the rules associated with a lab, we aren't able to have food of any kind in our work area. Our company decided to host a trick-or-treat where each section was to make a candy container and they were to be displayed in one of the conference rooms. The kids would then come around and trick-or-treat from the containers. We had a contest to see which section created the scariest, most creative and funniest container. Here are the winners:

Hospital Reprocessing received the scariest prize with this hands and skull work of art.
VTS' commentary: LAME.
Pharmaceuticals got the funniest prize for this paper mache head of our lab director.
VTS' commentary: LAME.

QA Auditors got the prize for most creative with this skeleton bride in a casket.
VTS' commentary: LAME. Fine, it isn't lame. But what the crap? A frickin' casket! Sorry that the rest of us weren't out grave robbing that night in order to win a gift certificate for breakfast at Gandolfo's.

No one in my section had any interest in participating in this tomfoolery. I decided at the last minute to head up this project. This is what emerged:

It's AWESOME, I know! It's a haunted sharps/biohazard container. It's funny because you're NEVER supposed to put your hand in one of those. Totally off limits. Dry ice was put in the bottom and then a shelf was made for the middle of the container to put the candy on. You had the reach through the fog to get your candy. It should've won. Probably in all three categories. But whatever. Those judges wouldn't have recognized creative genius if it walked up to them and kicked 'em in the chucks. But I don't care because you all know that I'm not very competitive. Still, it should've won. (grumble, grumble)

We had a great activity for young women's on Wednesday night. Kristin really put together an awesome evening. We had dinner, bobbed for apples, ate donuts off of a string, played rock band (I sang Sabotage for yet another audience) and made this awesome Halloween decoration.

This is my favorite decoration of all time! Mostly because it is made out of a toilet paper roll and because it took about 45 seconds from start to finish to make this craft. Seriously, this is my kind of project. And it's hilarious! I'm going to display it all year. Thanks Kristin, for adding the 6th home decor item to my residence.

And now the moment you've all been waiting for........................







The Garth Algar Costume!!!

Can you tell which is the real Garth and which is the poseur? I didn't think so.
Tragically I wasn't feeling well for most of the day so no one at work saw me in all my glory. But I was heavily persuaded to go out partying that night. So I did. You can't keep me away from a good party. We went up to the avenues to a friend of a friend's party. I was accompanied by an adorable Alice in Wonderland, a Keebler elf, Cookie Monster, a flapper, a mad scientist, and a s'more. I forgot my camera or else I would've had some awesome pictures. Anyway, it was pretty fun except for the fact that I felt ill the whole time, that I was dressed as a dude and that I was really starting to feel my age. I swear to you that I was the only girl that was not scantily clad in a sexy something-or-other. We were dancing and some of the guys were looking at me and I could tell that they were wondering whether I was a guy or a girl. It was dark! And strobe lights were flashing! My gender is typically not ambiguous in a normal day to day situation. Anyway, I like what I come up with for Halloween. A few years ago I was part of Team Zissou from the movie The Life Aquatic. It was funny to me, but not too many people have seen this hilarious movie and therefore didn't get my costume. Not too many below the age of 25 have seen Wayne's World either. There were quite a few people who didn't really get who I was at the party. And then I started thinking, "I'm 30 years old. What am I doing here?" Yikes.

Well, next year I resolved to be something cute and sassy to reflect my cute and sassy self, as you can see in this next picture..........




Ooops. Not that one. I meant this one.....


Damnit, I'm downright adorable. Say it!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

you are adorable! And I feel you on the "I'm 30, what am I doing here" sentiment. I can't tell you how often I think that. And I LOVE the Team Zissou ensemble costume idea!!

lydia said...

Oh my! You TOTALLY should have won the contest. (I'm serious, not just saying that) And your Garth costume is fantastic!

I didn't dress up...BOO! Didn't really feel I had an occasion to, other than walking Kate around the neighborhood. So at least you got invited to a party!

Vanessa said...

Kids these days! How could they not know who Garth is? But, I guess the movie came out in the early 90's when I was in HS and all the young ones were in elementary.

YOu win the prize for best decor and cutest scientist!

The Picketts said...

Really, it's uncanny how you looked EXACTLY like Garth!! Way to go! I LOVED it!

rachel said...

Super cute! I feel you on the age thing too...I am still in denial that I am 35, um I mean 29...hee hee. I miss those good ole days of dressing up like a sexy witch, or a sexy cat, or a sexy vampire, or a sexy ....well you get it. your costume was genius!

Mindi said...

best line in "sex and the city" movie:

miranda: "why is it for halloween there are only two choices for a woman: sexy kitten, or witch?"

carrie: "you just said a mouthfull, sister."

it could be worse. you could be 38.

i heart the garth costume.

Jen said...

Truly this will be legend!! - To top this you are gonna have to start planning NOW.... I shared your sweet pics with Bran and he laughed so hard he almost fell over! - Also: you SHOULD have won for the biohazard cauldron... What the crap - who judges these things?

Natalie said...

Coffin actually IS Lame. Lame-o in real life. It's like showing up to the 7th grade valentine's dance in a massive sparkly prom dress. Just too much. Which equals lame. I'm not even kidding I loved the biohazard sharps container candy bin. The cleverness was over the TOP! The beauty! You really are never supposed to put your hand in there, and then to shroud the candy with fog - brilliant! I can't say enough. Do you know what I would call it? UNABASHEDLY NERDY. Just like you. It's why I love you.

You=Garth. It's uncanny.

Brenna said...

Come to think of it, your box is pretty much how I see sharps containers in my head. No WAY would I stick my hand in there. That should have won scariest :) And your costume was great! Ethan couldn't believe that you didn't have a wig on. Ha ha

P.S. I've made my blog private for a while because I'm going to be taking a little break. I'll either send out invites or unprivatize my blog when the break is over. I'll still visit here!

King J, Queen M, Princess E and Princess M said...

I agree with the pp. You totally should have won.