13 November 2008

Pink in the Rink

I think I could set the world record right now for the most mucus contained in one persons head. I'm horribly congested. ARGH.

Anyway, I forgot to mention the highlight of my weekend...the Grizzlies game! Did you know that Grizzlies hockey started back up? The game on Friday night was for breast cancer awareness and they dyed the ice PINK. And the players wore pink jerseys that they auctioned off at the end of the night. But that's not the best part. The game was INCREDIBLE. They were playing The Reign from Ontario, California. The Reign scored 2 goals in the first period and maintained that lead late into the third period. The Reign goal tender was insanely good. We took three times as many shots on goal as the opposing team did and we didn't score. Two and a half minutes left of the third and we put one in the net. The crowd is one their feet and rallying for the home team at the this point. Eighteen seconds left and we score another! The game is tied. The third period ends and we go into overtime. Five minutes are put on the clock. No goals are scored in overtime. It goes to a shootout. Five players from each team each take a turn for a one-on-one with the opposite teams goalie. One by one they try for a goal and each one fails. Second to last dude on The Grizz gets up there and knocks one in. People are ripping off their shirts in swinging them over their heads at this point ( I was like one milimeter away from such a display). The last player from The Reign shoots wide and we win the game!!! My friends, that was a GREAT game.

I'm surprised that more people don't advantage of watching an ECHL hockey team here in Utah. In my personal opinion there are far more exciting sports to watch than U of U/BYU football and The Jazz. I've got a hook-up to get me into the games for free, so if you want to go just give me a call. Check out the schedule here. And if the only hockey knowledge you have is from watching The Mighty Ducks movies, then I'll sit next to you and explain this amazing game.