16 November 2008

Submission Only Grappling Tournament

Yesterday was the Champion's Challenge Submission Only Grappling Tournament down at the Throwdown ETC in Orem. A bunch of the guys from Absolute were competing in this so I went down to watch. I was going to compete and then backed down due to sickness and just not feeling as prepared as I wanted to be. I was at the tournament from 11am until past 6pm. Alot of the team arrived at the center at 8am for weigh-ins and such. It was a long day. All of our guys did so well. Most of them placed, if not first in their weight class and division. Toward the end of the tournament, when alot of the final fights were going on, someone from Absolute was in every one of those matches. There were 4 fights going on at the same time on the big mat. At one point we had a guy in every one of the matches.

I learned so much by just showing up and watching. Takedown techniques, being patient with a submission and sticking with it until it takes, set-up strategies, preparation for a match, etc...it was making all excited for the next tournament.

Denver getting his opponent in his guard. He got a wicked omo plata submission in an earlier round. It was amazingly cool.
Camrann in a flash of pink.
Ben Garner on the left in the green shorts was the master of his division and weight class. Undefeated. Tough as friggin' nails. Harold "The Constrictor" is on the right hand side of this pic and worked for over half and hour to get that submission. Harold is also very tough to beat. He entered the Absolute Pro Division (all weight classes combined) and took third. He grappled with Court McGee for almost 50 minutes. Court ended up winning the Absolute Division and received the $1,000 cash prize.
This is Denver on top working for the rear naked choke. He got it.
This is the other Cam that we have at our gym (in the blue). He won his division as well. He actually was up against another Absolute guy, Riley. Riley was matched up with all guys from our own team. We were joking that this tournament was pretty much like him just showing up for practice.
This is Chris (white pants) in the clinch. He also won his division. I don't think that he lost even one of his matches.
There was an injury toward the end of the day. People were getting tired and this guy wasn't protecting himself and was spiked on his neck. He was knocked unconscious but woke after a few seconds. We could see him move his arms and legs so I don't think there was any permanent damage. They did take every precaution and took him to the hospital immobilized on a stretcher.
This is my awesome coach, Rob Handley. He calls me VTD (Vanessa the Destroyer), because that's what I do. I cause wreckage! It was his birthday this last week. If you see him on the street, wish him a belated happy birthday!
Pedro and Shawn, coaching and watching.
Ben "Mr. Awesome" Garner preparing for his time to get on the mats.
Harold had a snake buzzed into his cranium. It looked extra cool. See part of its head there above his ear?
Harold and Camrann

Next tournament is on March 7th, and VTD will be in it - Do or Die!

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

Awesome. (I'm glad your name isn't Stacy, because then your trainer's nickname for you would be totally inappropriate.)

Mindi said...

we saw vandalay silva (spelled phonetically and totally wrong, i know) at the pool every day when we were in hawaii in june. pretty cool.

The Picketts said...

So two things. (sorry this will be long)
First - what are you doing for Thanksgiving? If you don't have a previous engagement (which I can't imagine why you WOULDN'T) you MUST come to Thanksgiving dinner with the Picketts. It would be completely DIVINE to have you there!
Which brings me to my second thing. While talking about you to Jason, he's totally hooked on the fact that you do MMA and thinks he can take you (after he said that - I laughed uncontrollably for a good 10 minutes. Paused briefly to look at him again - who was staring at me in confusion - only to start laughing uncontrollably for another 10 minutes. At least!) He then proceeded to say, and I quote: "I can totally take her! I would totally go Kimbo Slice on her ACE! Just tell her to bring her best cauliflower ear!" Then I reminded him how Kimbo Slice is a pathetic attempt to bring MMA to the American People. However, he MAY have a point. I'm calling all the major broadcasting networks right now - to see if they want to get in on that little piece of that action...you know, Jason L. Pickett going all Kimbo Slice on VTD!
Oh my gosh - I'm now CRY/LAUGHING at the ridiculousness of it all! HA HA HA HA!