29 July 2008

Heat-Seeking Missiles, Bloodhounds, Foxes, Barracudas...

Oh crap, oh crap, oh crap. I'm turning 30 on Friday. I'm supposed to have more accomplished at this point in my life. Crap.

Let's reminisce a bit, shall we.


  • I completely finished a Deseret News crossword puzzle by myself, without cheating.
  • I learned to play "Talk Dirty to Me" on the guitar. Not Guitar Hero, the real guitar.
  • I've maintained the life of a plant the entire year.
  • I've received 4 black eyes.
  • Learned to cook a delicious red curry dish.
  • Put up more decorations in my residence besides the Wayne Gretzky poster.

I am a model of progress.

Kidding aside, I will say that I'm a bit nervous to turn 30. I was at the gym the other day, running in the cardio theater, and Miracle was the movie featured. I often think about that scene with Herb Brooks sitting and talking with his wife at the outdoor rink in Lake Placid, NY. It was the day before the US team was to play the Russians. Herb's wife was telling him that there was no shame in losing. Herb told her that he wasn't afraid of losing, he just wanted his boys to play knowing that they left nothing on the table. Win or lose, it didn't matter. He just wanted them to have no regrets about their performance.

I think I'm leaving alot on the table. And it becomes more apparent just how much you leave on the table as you get older. I do know that I've accomplished alot in my life and feel very proud of the person that I've become. But there's more that I can do and be. I get unsettled very easily. Not in the bad way where you are ungrateful for what you have and just have to have more. But in the way where you know that there's something different and wonderful in store for you and you have to be adventurous and work hard in order to get it.

The other scene in Miracle that really resonated with me is when Herb was talking to Jim Craig (the goal-tender) right before the opening ceremony and Herb told him that he's going to bench him. Jim Craig got all riled up and asked Herb if it's because he didn't take the stupid psychological profile test at the beginning of training camp and offered to take it right then if that's what will enable him to get back on the ice. (Jim Craig didn't take the test when all the rest of his teammates did because he didn't see what taking the dumb test had to do with playing hockey.) Herb said that he wanted to see the guy in the net that wouldn't take the test.

I'm the guy that wouldn't take the test. I'm a pretty headstrong girl. I lost that part of me for a while though, but now it's back and I'm going to use it to clear off the table.

As I'm writing this I'm getting more excited about my 30th year. This blog is good for something!

5 comments:

Brenna said...

You are so inspiring, Vanessa! I need you to be my life coach and motivator. I think that the things you've accomplished and your headstrongness (is that a word?) are absolutely incredible. I really am in awe of you! Can't imagine what you'll do in the next 30 years! Happy Early Birthday!

The Picketts said...

Hello to my beautiful friend, Vanessa...will you email me your address??? I am trying to "update" all my stuff and I don't have a current address for you! My email is jasonanddiana@gmail.com

P.S. You're in inspiration! (That was sung in the same way as Peter Cetera...did I spell that right?)

The Picketts said...

Ok, i'm dumb...it's supposed to be "You're my inspiration!" DUH! That's what happens when you have a 14 month old crawling up your arms while typing! Really - that's my excuse and I'm stickin' to it!

Anonymous said...

Is the title for this post a line from Pineapple Express? Niiiice. Seth Rogan seems like your type of guy.
Well babe, I feel bad about you having a sick neck fungus. I have to say that it is funny as hell. And having a countdown ticker with mushrooms and a lightning bolt...Great Oden's Raven, HILARIOUS.
I liked this post. It screams Vaness. I really like who you are. You're intense but so playful at the same time. I don't know anyone more playful than you. And HAPPY BIRTHDAY! 30. That's a big birthday. You're going to rock your 30's. I'm eager to read your blog and see how you wipe that table clean even though I feel like you have accomplished more than most people twice your age.

Captainseapig said...

Vanessa, Your secret is safe with me. My lips are sealed. Happy birthday, have fun! That would be cool if you put up a link to my blogosphere. I will do the same for you once I figure it out. Duhhhhh. Love Uncle James