21 May 2008

About The Good Stuff

This week at Absolute, we had the pleasure of having Grand Master Flavio Behring teaching our Jujitsu classes. The second I saw him, I loved him. He is a man that carries a peacefulness and gentleness with him. You can see it in his face.
(photo taken from absoluteMMA.blogspot.com)
He's unbelievable to watch and to learn from. He's patient and precise. We learned a progression of really great moves tonight. What I loved was the way he still got excited about this stuff. It was so cool! He would show us something and then smile in the way that you know that he was thinking how awesome that just was. It made me feel like we had a connection because that's how I feel whenever I'm doing Jujitsu. I always get over-excited about what I learn everytime I'm on the mat.

It's crazy how unnatural Jujitsu feels at first, and then you do it for a while and realize the simpleness and flow of it. It then starts feeling very natural. Your body recognizes what it needs to do and does it. I'm not very good at it yet, but I certainly have a love for it and I'm going to keep learning.

I grateful that I have the opportunity to learn from such great people. Rob and Cam are amazing coaches with incredible knowledge. They've invested so much in the gym so that we can get the best training and experience. Pedro is awesome in the way that he's super encouraging and friendly, but he doesn't mess around when it comes to learning this stuff and really helps you keep your head in the moment. He's always willing to pair up with me and work hard with me until I finally get it, no matter how long it takes. The rest of the guys are the gym are equally as amazing. Tonight I worked for a couple of hours with a guy named Denver. Towards the end we were really getting excited for each other because we were able to see the others progress. It's nice to have that kind of support.

I feel changed since I started doing this. I feel more comfortable with myself. I can't quite write the feeling adequately, but just know that it feels good.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

okay, I am a little late on this, but I had to comment on the whole rooster fiasco - Somehow, I just am not seeing you as a future chicken farmer.... anyway, thanks for the morning chuckles, you (always) make me grin...

- Jen

Anonymous said...

It's still hard to belive you're doing this. You've always been strong.